Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Tea Review: Enjoying Tea’s Lady Baroness Grey Loose Tea


I can’t believe I haven’t done a tea review yet, as I love tea more than any other beverage (yes, more than coffee).  I grew up on Bigelow and Celestial Seasonings and have since branched out into more brands, and including those that do loose tea rather than tea bags.  Loose tea comes in all the varieties of bag tea (often even more), such as black, green, white, oolong, and rooibos (I haven't yet tried puerh).  Sometimes the tea is plain, and sometimes it includes pieces of dried fruit, flower petals, spices, and other ingredients.


The first order I made from Enjoying Tea was a few of years ago in late summer to buy a cast iron Asian-style teapot.  I had been seeing them everywhere, and they were just too expensive for what you get at places like Teavana (I can do a separate review on why I’m not so crazy about Teavana in another post).  I ended up getting a red and gold cast iron teapot with images of a Chinese dragon and phoenix on the sides of the pot and top of the coaster (for a lot less than Teavana).  I also decided to get a package of their Lady Baroness Grey tea, as I love earl grey tea, and needed more loose tea for my new pot (it’s specifically for loose tea).  I have the four ounce version, and it has lasted me a long time for an inexpensive cost.



Lady Baroness Tea is a black tea, with pieces of dried orange, some flower petals, and lime leaves (I will include the description from the website below), and of course bergamot (the main flavoring of any earl grey tea).  It is a black tea, so one teaspoon (or 2.3 grams) per one cup (eight ounces) of boiling (212 degrees Fahrenheit or 100 degrees Celsius).


The tea doesn’t take long to steep, and can get quite dark if left too long.  The recommended steeping time is only 3-5 minutes.  The tea is a medium amber color, like most black tea, and gives off a slightly floral aroma, heady with bergamot.  I think it is best with light sandwiches and dessert (or tea) items, such as coffee cake, cookies, and cake.  I have it without sugar, but it is good with some sugar or your preferred sweetener.


Although I always have to have my favorite Bigelow earl grey, this version is a little more dressed up and feels more luxurious, even though it is hardly more expensive than your average pot or cup of tea.

(Note:  I have not been paid to make this review.)

No comments:

Post a Comment