Sunday, January 31, 2016

My Favorite Skincare Products and Routine of January 2016


Starting with a disclosure of my skin, age, and research into skincare, I am 22, fair, with oily skin, and am acne-prone.  I have been interested in skincare for at least ten years, frequenting blogs and other review sites to gather more information on products.  I don’t try to spend my money foolishly, but am driven toward always bettering my skin and makeup, and most recently, this means improving my skin and wearing the least amount of makeup on a regular basis as I can.  Don’t get me wrong, I love makeup, but at this point, my daily life does not require me to carefully fill my brows or do the full face routine.  Skincare, in my opinion is more important than makeup in my life, as it creates an ideal base, so that means less foundation!

Cleansing:

I said I have oily skin, but when I sometimes wash it, it feels tight and dry.  I have realized that this means I am using the wrong cleansers, and maybe even oily-skinned people need extra moisture in that step.  I am currently using Garnier’s version of Micellar Cleansing Water (the regular one) to remove my makeup, but most days, when I go makeup free, I just use one of the two cleansers I have on my counter.  These are Neutrogena Deep Clean Long-Last Shine Control Cleanser/Mask or Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser (I currently have the CVS version).  I use the Cetaphil on most days, and the Neutrogena if I feel I need a deeper clean.  Every other day (at night), if I’m good, I will use the Clarisonic Mia 2, in amethyst, which I got myself as a graduation present last May.  I use dime-sized amount of cleanser on the wet brush, and let the Clarisonic do the rest.  I then use Dickinson’s witch hazel as a toner.  I often do this step throughout the day if I need a refresher and am not wearing makeup.  Rosewater is also a fabulous toner and can be used the same as witch hazel.



Moisturizers, Serums and Eye Care:

Before moisturizer, I either use a vitamin C serum (the one I use also has vitamin E and hyaluronic acid for cell turnover), or the sample I have of Origin’s Original Skin Renewal Serum with Willowherb.  I have been using the vitamin C serum longer (I got it from Amazon), and I really like how it calms my skin and allows my moisturizer to sink in better than on its own.

I use different moisturizers in the morning and at night.  I love Aveeno (with SPF 15 or 30 in the morning) because it is completely unscented and does not interfere with my natural skin oil production, and adds moisture back into my skin after washing.  I then move onto makeup, as my skin is now well-prepped for foundation, if I decide I need any that day.  Rosebud salve and Vaseline are my favorite moisturizers for chapped lips and really anything else, and I use them day and night.

At night, I indulge in either 100% argon oil, or Olay’s Original Beauty Fluid Lotion.  My mom’s grandmother used Olay, and she looked beautiful well into old age, and lived to be 100.  (She did have an amazing bone structure, but I still like to use Olay because of her.)  I also use argon oil on my pale reddish-blonde eyebrows and light, but relatively long lashes.  It has helped my brows and lashes look somewhat darker because of increased growth.  (I will do a follow-up review as I continue to use argon oil.)  I use an Olay eye gel most nights and occasional mornings, and I feel it is enough moisture for me and helps with de-puffing.  I will definitely try other eye creams in the future.



Indulging:

Once a week, not always the same day, I use an intensive face mask, making sure my pores are opened by warm water, usually from a bath.  I love Queen Helene Mint Julep clay mask, and usually reach for it on my indulging days.  Other days I use a plain and simple, homemade honey mask, which is great for all skin types, as it helps clears acne, smooths skin, and adds a boost of moisture.  I also love the charcoal sugar scrub by Freeman.  It is pretty much the only exfoliation I do, and it is super gentle and moisturizing.  I feel my skin always looks best at night than during the day, but I can never be sure if it’s because of the mask I’ve done or because of the dimmer light….

I am always willing to try new products, but I think witch hazel, Aveeno, Vaseline, and rose water will always be in my skincare.  Let me know if I helped in any product decisions, and if you love anything else I haven’t mentioned, for any skin type!

No comments:

Post a Comment